TO BUILD BRITAIN’S FUTURE, WE NEED TO BUILD A NEW RUNWAY
Expansion must be fair to everyone. Gatwick expansion will not be a drain on the public finances - and even more importantly it can actually happen.
We have set out eight guarantees to the local community which are fair to local people and will ensure the UK benefits from a new runway that is cheaper, quieter, cleaner and faster to build so the whole of the UK can benefit from Gatwick expansion.
ONLY GATWICK CAN GUARANTEE
1. A NEW RUNWAY BY 2025:
We can have planning permission with ground broken in this Parliament, and planes taking off from Britain’s new runway in the next.
2. GROWTH ACROSS THE UK:
We will create the same economic boost as Heathrow, but a bigger boost to regional connectivity across the UK.
3. A CAP ON PASSENGER CHARGES:
We will deliver more competition in the aviation sector, bringing down fares for everyone. We will cap air passenger charges at an inflation linked £15.
4. NO PUBLIC SUBSIDY:
We will fund the scheme privately and in full with no burden on the taxpayer.
5. LEGAL AIR QUALITY:
We have never breached legally binding air quality limits and can construct and operate the new runway without doing so.
6. A CAP ON THOSE MOST AFFECTED BY NOISE:
We will limit the area of the noise contour most impacted by noise (57dBA Leq) to 70sqkm, an area with a current population of 15,000 people
7. INDUSTRY-LEADING COMPENSATION:
We will pay £1,000 per annum towards the Council Tax of those most affected by noise.
8. SHAREHOLDER COMMITMENT:
Our shareholders have stated their ongoing and long-term commitment to the financing and delivery of this critical project.
Let’s make this runway happen so Britain can get all the benefits.
These Guarantees are in addition to the pledges we have already made to the local community to ensure that our local community benefits from a second runway.
These local pledges followed Gatwick’s public consultation and have been designed to address the areas that matter most to our local community, including jobs, housing, noise and transport:
- £46.5m to help local authorities deliver essential community infrastructure
- A £3.75m fund to help create 2,500 new apprenticeships for local people
- A series of noise initiatives including £45m for Gatwick’s unique council tax initiative and £5m for noise insulation measures
- Improvements to local transport links and a commitment to ensure local roads are no busier than they are today, with a £10m local highway development fund in place to meet any additional works
- For the small number of homes that would need to be compulsorily purchased, a £131m Property Support Bond will offer homeowners 25% above market value, significantly above statutory requirements. In addition, a £14m Home Owners Support Scheme to buy any homes that would be subject to high levels of aircraft noise - above a set noise level - under the new plans
- A new Business Engagement Charter to help local landowners & businesses affected by Gatwick expansion
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
To show your support for Gatwick’s plan for a second runway or to subscribe for regular updates, please visit our sign-up page.